Friday, January 25, 2013

First Days with Mariner

Hi everyone,

As an introductory blog post, I'll introduce myself and give some background.  My name is Brad Llewellyn.  I received my Master's Degree in Statistics from the University of South Carolina.  Coming from an academic environment, I had quite a bit of programming experience, as well as the mathematical analysis skills that come with being a Statistician.

Graduating from school was a bit of a shock because there were very few companies nearby who were hiring statisticians.  Finance companies wanted finance majors, Programming companies wanted programmers, etc.  There were only two somewhat small  firms nearby who wanted statisticians, and I did not get hired by them.

So, I moved up to Charlotte and found out about Mariner through SourceAbility, a staffing firm.  I met a rare character by the name of Peter Darragh who was thrilled at the prospect of working with someone who wasn't a developer.  He said "I have developers.  What I want is someone who can help me expand what I can offer to clients.  Can you do that?"  This was the opportunity I had been waiting for.  Someone who wanted to mold to my strengths instead of telling me that I didn't have theirs.

Mariner is a Business Intelligence consulting firm in Charlotte that specializes in creating Data Warehouses and Cubes for companies.  They also train them to use a wide variety of reporting tools, including Tableau, PowerPivot, and SQL Server Reporting Services.  However, Mariner and its customers want to expand in the world of Predictive Analytics, which is where I come in.

I've learned quite a bit in my first month and a half at Mariner.  The people are great and the work is cutting edge.  I can't wait to be able to help Mariner bring companies into the world of Predictive Analytics.  My future posts will be more professional and I hope to find something for everyone to learn from.

Thanks for reading.

Brad Llewellyn
Associate Consultant
Mariner, LLC
llewellyn.wb@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradllewellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment